Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sick of Fat

I am on a journey to become a healthy woman and eventually a mom....I am happy to share the journey.

From childhood, I was always a bigger kid, but my parents encouraged me to dance and do sports, for crying out loud, I was even a cheerleader. Aware of my size, I never really felt inhibited by it. That's why I always feel so sad for those contestants on the Biggest Loser...they say "I am not living my life..." yadda yadda. (I will save my true opinions about the Biggest Loser for another blog) In high school I was on the swim team and really enjoyed it. In college, I wasn't thin, but as an adult I am now able to see that my college size is probably my ideal.

When I began teaching, all my new friends were partying singles. We had a blast. I partied harder than I ever had at school, and although I was working out a few times a week, it wasn't enough to balance the 15 drinks in a weekend and the late night trips to Mangia Pizza after all those shots!

10 years later, my ass has grown about 5 sizes and I am fed up. Medical complications aside, I feel ugly for the first time in my life. My parents did a tremendous job of teaching us independence and self-confidence; perhaps this is why I never felt awful about my size. Well, reality has sunk in (who knows if that's grammatically correct, sorry Rich!) and I realize that I look terrible and feel terrible too! This fall, I remember not wanting to run into friends because I felt rotten.

Fast forward to May 1. In February, a friend from work and I decided to join Weight Watchers. It was good for us both, although my friend is pretty thin, she wanted to have a killer bikini bod for the summer (and she has it- you look awesome Julie!) We have been working out rigorously, and following plan. I am motivated, focused, and on track. This is the first time I have been on WW for more than 2 months and not given up.

As of this week, I have lost 18.6 lbs.... my goal of 30 lbs by June 1 will be coming all too near. After two slowish weeks, I need to tighten up on my eating! Will I make it? Follow my blog and see!

2 comments:

  1. You go, girl! You CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allison, have you given up blogging???

    ReplyDelete